Saturday, December 31, 2005

Books of '06--MLJ Ephesians 1

My mother gave me money for my birthday and I found the 8 volume commentary on Ephesians by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones at Monergism for a song. It arrived today, just in time for New Years reading.

I will be studying through the series this year. Can't wait.

God's Ultimate Purpose is the exposition of Ephesians Chapter 1.

I set out to write out my thoughts, chapter by chapter, and so have a record of my study of this series, but I can see now that that is a task that will hinder rather than enrich my reading at this point. Rather, I have decided to write a summary at the end of each book rather than each chapter. I hope to finish this book by the end of the month. I thought that I'd be able to read one book per month and study through the whole series in a year, but the teaching is dense and deep, therefore I doubt I will be able to finish this in one year. Regardless, it is a worthy undertaking and one that will undoubtably change me.

Michael Haykin at Historica Ecclesiastica has a wonderful biographical sketch on Dr. David Martyn Lloyd-Jones. From the article:

But it was not until I read the first volume of Iain H. Murray’s life of “the Doctor” that I experienced the deep impact of his life and thought [David Martyn Lloyd-Jones. The First Forty Years 1899-1939 (Edinburgh: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1982)]. Suffice it to say, that of all the Christian authors and expositors of the twentieth century, none has shaped my thinking as a Christian more than this man and his writing.

Although, for me, the writings of Jonathan Edwards have been most formative, D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones is a close second and Iain H. Murray's two volume biography of the man greatly influenced my thinking on ministry and evangelism.

David Blayly's article about Dr. Lloyd-Jones on the 25th anniversary of his death. He, too, recommends Murray's biography and recommends a few other Lloyd-Jones titles.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,